Thursday, September 1, 2011

Writing more... right

I said I need to write more. Then wrote less than I have in a long time. While that's not entirely true it still holds somewhat true. I have been trying to blog... and more often than not lately never actually get around to posting as I never get around to actually finishing a complete thought. Life just intervenes too often.

We had the hurricane go through. While our town sustained a good deal of damage and flooding and LOTS of lost power we were very lucky in that we were safe and fine and never lost power. Had a few brown-outs but never really lost power for more than a few seconds. I'm feeling especially blessed by that.

The start of school was delayed due to the hurricane. Lots of flooding, downed trees, lost power lead to missing the first two days of school. The kids were thrilled... and truth be told so was I. Summer was too short this year and the weather was only so-so. It was nice to have two extra days of just sitting at home and chillaxing together.

With the start of school yesterday I find myself riding the emotional roller coaster again. Excited for the kids. New teachers, new classrooms, new friends, new stuff to learn and experiences to share. Biggle started at the intermediate school... he's a big kid now. Kitten is in PM preschool which I'm not overly thrilled with to be honest but it is what it is. Boo loves his new teacher and we LOVE her as she was G-man, Mimi, and Biggle's K teacher as well and she is a doll. Tinesy DID get into Algebra and she is really proud of herself as are we. Mimi did get into honors English and she's thrilled. I think she feels more on par with her older and younger sib now and it seems to have boosted her self esteem. G-man started his Senior year. OMG. That is a hard pill to swallow. I am excited for him and yet shaking my head in disbelief at the same time. He's doing his normal beginning of the year "I'm going to be impossible to live with" thing that he does every year. OCD meets NOT-a-morning-person ugly mix and it's a hard time of year for him every year... and by default hard for us too. Still, in a couple of weeks he'll be his normal "school self" (as opposed to his normal, easy going, laid back, water off a ducks back "vacation" self).

I find that with the start of school the guilt returns. Just when I think I kind of have it licked it rears its ugly head and reminds me "HERE I AM!!! Mwaahahahahahaha." Fun. NOT! Guilt... about the Boo of course. More explaining to people that Boo is not typical. More explaining to people why Boo is repeating K. More dealing with everything that reminds us daily that Boo is not typical. Stuff that needs to be and will be done but stuff that comes with baggage and some pain. Some pain. Not overwhelming, debilitating amounts of pain... which have happened in the past. Just some pain. Some pain that will be dealt with and pushed through and put aside as the year moves on. Still... hurts for now. Wish I could take two Advil for this and just have it go away but not that kind of pain. Not the kind of pain I *will* medicate myself out of even though that's an option. I know in a few weeks life will be "normal" again so I'll get from A to B by sheer force of will... and with some help from The Man... oh and really all the kids. Just holding Boo quietly for a while was good yesterday. It helped. His head tucked under my chin. His little hands on my arms. His sweet face close to mine. It helps. They all help in their own way... even amidst the chaos.

I don't even know if I should get started with the whole G-man thing. The fact that next year this time he'll be gone. He'll be off living on his own somewhere... away from us... from me. Because you know I'm not already feeling completely out of my depth with the whole college thing... right... yeah... not going there.

Gonna be a crazy day again today. Hopefully come tomorrow and then next week with full day schedules instead of half-day life will find it's pace again.

No comments: