I was sitting with G-man last night watching some fool thing on TV, I don't even remember what. I had my hand on his knees as he was curled up playing his video game and it struck me that I wanted to tell him not to ever ask a girl to marry him while he was in bed with her. That it was the wrong way to do it... that it would cheapen it... both the sex and the proposal. I wanted to explain that of course emotions run high in the bedroom and that there really is nothing in the world to compare to that post-coital blissful feeling that comes over you but that it's the wrong time for a proposal. I wanted to tell him that's not how a girl wants to be proposed to. Well, most girls I know anyway. I didn't know if I could tell him that though. I felt like... it's now irrelevant. It gave me just a small twinge of sadness I guess. A lost opportunity for me to share with my son the intricacies of a girls mind and how girls like things. Those things won't matter anymore... most likely. Poof ---- gone. A moment.
My nephew is graduating HS today. I'm not particularly close to my nephew but I love him, of course. I don't get to see him more often than once very few years but he was the first Grandchild, my first nephew and I feel a connection to him. I'm happy and yet sad too. I think that's how graduations are supposed to be though, bittersweet that way. I get sadder still thinking that next year that will be the G-man. Wow. I can't even talk about it I get so emotional.
Signed the papers last week to have Boo repeat K. Good move. The right move. Good decision. His teachers agree with us. Still it came with a hint of sadness, just a hint. In good news it did NOT come with the normally suffocating guilt that is common after big meetings or Dr.'s appointments for the Boo. So, I'm.... improving... let's go with improving. The sadness was there and I was able to acknowledge it without beating myself senseless with guilt.
Sickness descended upon the house last Friday. Everyone got a sinus/throat thing. The only one saved from the germ seems to be Tinesy... we'll see what happens to her. All in all not a fun weekend though... lots of tissues, fever, italian ice, and cold meds... everyone cranky. G-man had to sit the SAT again regardless of the fact that he had a fever of 101... fun.
Mimi got her photograph in the school newsletter for this month having won the photography contest at the HS last month. Very cool. It would have been cooler still if they had gotten her NAME right. Yeah, super proud and more than just a little bit annoyed at the school over the name thing.
Biggle went to two birthday parties last week. He's happy and doing well it seems. I'm banging my head against a brick wall trying to get him to read lately. Not sure what's up with that. I have ALWAYS had to tell him to go do his 20 min. of reading every day but it's never been a battle of wills like it has been lately. I really wish he would get on the whole "reading for fun" bandwagon we have in our family... but he seems dead set against it. I tell him to go read and you'd think from the look on his face I'd told him to go to kill a puppy... . Work in progress that.
Tinesy was difficult this weekend, that was fun... oh wait... NOT! She's my only kid with even an iota of common sense and yet there are times when she intentionally goes out of her way to ignore it. They're watching a movie in school today and she got it in her head that she HAD TO finish the book before the weekend was out. Nope, it wasn't assigned... she just wanted to play up her "smarty pants" role and read it. Of course the book is something in the vicinity of 244 pages or so. She spent all day Saturday reading... and then all day Sunday blowing tantrums about not being able to finish her social studies assignment because there was absolutely ZERO information on "women's rights in Iraq" on all of the internet. Yeah, I called bullshit on that. So she dragged herself through the report kicking and screaming and me just saying to her "I'm too sick to fight with you about this today so either you get it done yourself and stop throwing road blocks in your own way or you fail... cause I am SO not doing this with you." She got it done... and did a good job... and I made sure to tell her how proud I was of her... and she actually kind of apologized for behaving the way she did. Still, it was rather exhausting.
So, that's the big news. All in all today I'm just tired... and a wee bit sad. Not depressed or despondent, but a little sad. I think that's okay. I am happy that I lost 3 lbs. last week. I'm trying, I really am. I can do this. Still, that quiet sadness is kind of lingering today.
No comments:
Post a Comment